The boys & I were out & about on Sunday & as we came up the hill to go home, we encountered TRAFFIC! What could all the hub-bub be over? Well, we turn the corner & Aidan yelled, "DUCKS!!!" Sure enough, there was a little momma & her cute baby ducklings out on a Sunday stroll in the middle of 1100 North. Another man had gotten out of his car a ways up the road & was trying to help the little family get to safety. The boys & I decided we should be a part of this fun mission.
Let me tell you, this was not an easy task. We decided the best option would be to get them all to the canal where they could get in the water & float down to a safer spot. However, Momma Duck was a little leery of our aid. Have you ever heard a duck hiss? Yeah, not a good thing to hear when you are all of less then a foot from one & know the darn thing could bite you any second, BUT we were on a mission!
At one point, I thought we'd hit a road block when Momma jumped up the curb & the babies couldn't make it up to her. Up until then, the ducklings were relatively quiet, but the chirp fest began when the panic of her leaving was in the air. Luckily, one made it & it all gave them the confidence they needed to try again...success! Well, I will say, I was worried for a moment about the last one. He kept trying & trying & couldn't clear the curb. The crazy part is the Momma gathered all the others & started off even though the last one was struggling & chirping like crazy. I so wanted to help the little guy up, but was afraid she wouldn't go near him if my scent was on him (do ducks even are about that? I don't know, but I wasn't going to chance it). FINALLY, he made it & ran like mad to catch up to the group.
Anyway, after about 15 mins, we steered the little family to safety. Way to be at the right place, at the right time:)




0 comments:
Post a Comment