Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Hooray for the Farrand Girls!


We were so excited to have
my big sis, Kristen, &
hip-hop dancin' niece, Isabelle,
come visit us.


They have not been out to visit us since 2002!

That's okay, all is forgiven....especially in light of the fact that I told them that it would be nice and warm (keep in mind it was 68 degrees when I said this) & then the temperature dropped into the 40s when they got here. Needless to say, our little visitors were more than a little chilled when they got off the plane coatless & shuffling in flip-flops. YIKES! If it is of any consolation, I did not have a coat either.





We went into SLC to grab a bite to eat & had a good time diggin' thru the back of my car to find warmer duds for all of us to wear.






At one point, Kristen & I both tried on an extra coat of the kids I happened to have.
Again, needless to say, we struck out. Alas, I have been cursed with what I have dubbed "ET arms"...argh! Oh well, such is life. Silver lining: we were laughing so hard it didn't matter very much.


*****
The next day, true to its absurd weather patterns,

Utah gave my sister & niece the gift of snow.


We were going on Dylan's fieldtrip with him & his kindergarten class to the barn up at Thanksgiving Point.

Normally, this would have been a grand adventure full of lots of cool sights & activities...well, we'll just say it was truly an adventure.

I rode on the bus with Dylan (I was in charge of a few of the children), while Kris & Isabelle followed the bus in my car. I will say, when we got on the bus in Pleasant Grove the air was crisp, but the sun was shining brightly. Well, that came to an abrupt end 5 mins into our drive. The wind kicked up & the snow started comin' down (technically sideways because of the strong wind)....yes, I said SNOW! Next thing I know, I am getting a frantic call from Kristen basically breakin it down that she is more than a little freaked by the crazy storm & should she be worried about black ice. Yeah...tons of fun. However, again, within 5 mins, the snow stopped & the sun burst thru the clouds. Oh don't be fooled...the wind stuck around along with the arctic temperatures...okay, not arctic, but low 20's is pretty cold people!


Here's the crazy thing, they didn't cancel the fieldtrip! Holy Cow!(No pun intended).

Apparently, Thanksgiving Point doesn't give refunds, so we all pressed forward. I guess I failed to mention I was trying to let my sister & niece fully experience the depths to which the pioneers went thru in order to settle the great state of Utah. Alright, alright, I know I'm exaggerating...and no, I am not in any way, shape, or form trying to downplay the trials of the pioneer saints...I'm just sayin it was freakin' cold!


We started off inside the building where we got to see some cool stuff including a cute little lamb wearing a sweater. Isabelle loved this. Heck, I even held a chicken...okay, it wasn't real, but we won't focus on that.




Then we took the show outside. YIKES!







We got to go on a very quick hay ride, & walked around outside for a bit. The kids got to go inside a jail & the guide had them sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to get out. They thought that was hilarious. The best part, Isabelle sang the loudest :)

















I felt so bad for the little kindergartners, most of which had nothing more then a sweatshirt. They were all troopers, but it was understandable when some of started to cry. For the record, Dyl didn't cry, he just was ready to go home.

I reiterate, IT WAS COLD!

However, we survived, but I do believe we all ended up with colds...nice...


Apparently we got over any ill-feelings towards the weather quickly because afterwards we went to lunch at JCWs & enjoyed one of their wonderful ice cream shakes.




I'm not saying it makes sense, people. I'm just tellin' it like it happened.

By the way, lunch was DELICIOUS!

You gotta love JCW's!

1 comments:

Amanda said...

You rock! You have so much fun with your kids, I need to be more like you! Keep it up!