Monday, December 17, 2007

Temple Square with the Charltons

Aimee & I decided it had been far too long since we had been to Temple Square at Christmas to see the lights. Who were we to deny our lovely kidlings such a wonderful experience? All this being said, we opted to take FHE on the road. After bundling up, we all squeezed into the car (not an easy feat with with little Brockster now on board) & headed to SLC. As per usual on any event we try to plan, there seemed to be obstacle after obstacle...Aimee & I bounded them effortlessly. We would not be stopped...we were women on a mission to enjoy a spiritual lighting extravaganza with our kids whether they wanted to or not! Dyl fell asleep on the way up, which set his mood right off the bat...um...the kid does not wake up easily & big bro, Aidan, is more than willing to assist in the waking...nice.

The air was extra crispy cold & the underground parking structure was closed to the public. Yet another reason to live an exemplary life so that you can get the coveted underground parking once you are a General Authority or something of importance in the Church;) I'm kidding, I'm kidding...sort of...:) Anywho, we found a parking place & then set-out on the trek to the Temple. Apparently, Aimee & I weren't the only ones that felt like the lights were worth seeing on FHE...needless to say, I felt an even stronger bond with the Pioneers of old as the massses crossed the vast plains (okay...North Temple Dr) & pressed forward & endured the cold bitter elements so that we might get to promised land (alright! I'm sure the pioneers didn't have Gortex or fleeced lined coats, gloves, & boots, but it doesn't diminish from our experience...does it?).

WE got in the gates along with the rest of the hoards & made our way to the Nativity. It's always fun to see the story laid out before us w/ the big booming voice recounting the events that lead up to Christ's birth. I love to see the 3 Wisemen on the camels & the Shepherd in the field with his flock. The best is at the end with the light shining in the manger as Mary & Joseph look fondly on their newborn son...*insert sound of needle scratching across record* "Is that IT!?! That was lame! We didn't even get to go in the barn place!"....thanks, Dyl. To his credit, I did mention that he was rudely awakened by his brother right?

We then ventured over to the old Tabernacle & enjoyed some beautiful music played through the huge pipe organ. IT was amazing. Of course, that needle scratched again...so we pressed forward...

We decided to move on & venture closer to the Temple itself. We stopped & took some pics by the beautiful fountain. Monty had the brilliant idea of suggesting that the kids strip down & jump in to grab the coins out...I'm sure he was joking (you were joking, right, Monty?), but the kids thought that sounded like the coolest thing ever! Dylan especially. He had his coat off & was ready to go.Aimee & I nipped that in the bud quickly, but that set-off the lovely mood for the next 20 mins. Nothing says "Families can be together forever" like your 5 yr old standing in Temple Square screaming at the top of his lungs "I HATE YOU!!!! YOU ARE FAT!!!"...that second part is apparently his newest equivalent of the meanest possible thing he can think to say...nice....Needless to say, we had several people starring at us...I could only laugh at this point. I just let him know that I loved him very much & continued on with the adventure.

He did eventually calm down after some soothing words from Aimee & the fact that he became distracted by his urgent need to use a bathroom. We quickly made our way to the Visitors' Center where we found what we sought, as well as, some much needed warmth & shelter. When everything was taken care, we made our way to the top level to enjoy the calming voice as we sat & looked upon the Christus. It was an excellent finish to a memorable night:)

0 comments: