YEAH FOR LABOR DAY!!!! We are so glad we can reap the benefits of Congress' decision to jump on the ball in recognizing a holiday for workers back in 1894...okay so they didn't really have a choice what with all the chaos of strikes, boycotting, riots, bloodshed, but we won't go into that. What we will recognize is that Labor Day provides us with one last long weekend to get out & have fun. The holiday also marks other wonderful stuff such as the beginning of the NFL & NCAA Football seasons (it's lookin' like a good year people!), PLUS, my favorite season: AUTUMN!!! I love this time of year! 

All was not lost! The football game was good. The boys got to play with some friends & built a teepee in the back yard. They also had fun being boy scouts & learned how to kindle a fire in the neighbor's fire pit (um...yes, there was adult supervision). They were having SO much fun that we decided to skip the movie (Oh don't worry...we caught it for family night..ha ha). We ended the night by going to get ice cream & a dvd...but the fun doesn't end here...
During the movie I kept thinking...hmmm, what can we go do for the holiday. MAYBE the storm won't be that bad. MAYBE, we should still go camping. I decided to wait & see what Sunday brought us.
Initially, the day looked pretty darn good. We came home from church to sunny, blue skies.

YEP! It was settled. We were going camping.
I started packing. Yippee! Our Labor Day plans were back on track. However, true to Utah form, in no time flat the skies turned grey. DANG! The boys were excited to go on a trip & dog gone it! We were leaving! I hopped on the computer. Checked out hotels in Park City. Wham! Bam! Thank you, Ma'am! Next thing you know we were headed to our 4 star "camp site"...that's what I call "roughin' it". :)
Please note the disheveled bed...moments prior it was attacked by these 2 crazy kids...
By the time we got there, it was pouring rain...cats & dogs, people! The wind was blowing like crazy, but that didn't stop us one bit. Troopers, I tell ya!
First, we hit up the swimming pool.
The boys loved that the pool was indoors with a wall that raised so that they could swim outside in the rain. I liked that the pool was a nice, warm 85 degrees (as posted on the wall). Initially, we were the only ones enjoying the pool (normal people were out eating dinner...not us...too much fun to be had), but before you knew it the pool was packed. At this point, Dyl decided that he was hungry, so off we went.
However, once we were back in the room, the boys decided that they NEEDED to take a bath first...what can I say? Jets are cool. Phew! Good thing these ones were particularly strong or y'all would be catchin' a look see at Lil' Dyl's twig & berries. Thank goodness this is a G-rated blog. :)
With the rain still coming down heavy, Aidan's request to go on the Alpine slide (he is a FREAKIN' NUT on that thing. He loves to go FAST, while Dyl & I are...um...more conservative) had to be put on hold. Since we had a full kitchen & a nice big, flat screen tv w/ stereo system, we opted to go to the market for some food & a dvd (are you starting to get the impression that we enjoy a good flick now & then?). To market, to market, jiggity-jig...Holy Cow! You would have thought we were staying for a week with all the food & treats the boys were tossing in the cart. However, wanting to be the fun mom on vacation, I indulged their every request. The best part was, after grabbing our flick & pulling out of the parking lot, Dyl says, "Ooooo, there's a Burger King, Mom! Could we PLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEE get chicken & fries IN A KID'S MEAL!" Um...I think he decided to push his luck since I had just said the words "whatever you guys want...we're on VACATION!" about 50 times in the store. Aahhh, what the heck! Sure, we can get fast food! (Note: Just to be clear, grocery shopping wasn't a total loss. I enjoyed the BBQ chicken, cheese and apples. Plus, we had brownies for dessert. Yum!)
With our feast laid before us, I flipped on the tv to start up the movie; however, "National Treasure" was playing so we HAD to watch that first. Before I knew it, I had 2 little boys zonked out. I thought about watching the dvd we rented by myself but I opted to catch up on some reading...a good book & some time to actually read it..now THAT'S a VACATION! :)
My little diehard, Dyl insisted on bringing his U of U blanket to the hotel.
The next day we enjoyed the breakfast of Champions-- Fruit Loops & chocolate milk (my teeth are aching just thinking about it, BUT remember, we are on vacation)-- while we discussed our plans for the day. Aidan was still pushing for the Alpine slide or the Zipline. The rain had stopped so we thought that was a pretty good idea, BUT first they wanted to go swimming a little more before we checked out. Sounded good to me.
By the time everything was said & done, we stepped out in the crisp cold air to feel big drops of rain falling on our face...did I say "crisp cold air"? Yeah, try low 40's AND I had only packed shorts & t-shirts. YIKES!!! Luckily, I always keep coats and caps in the car, but DANG!!! It was freakin' cold!
We decided with the rain, the slides would probably be closed. We all agreed that going home & catching "Hellboy 2" sounded good...and warm. SO we packed up our stuff & started home until...we came across a PARADE!
Needless to say, we FROZE our butts off, but the boys had so much fun. Like all good parades, the loot was flyin'. The boys raked in lots of cool stuff like water bottles, footballs, frisbees, pins, pens, & CANDY!!! Plus, we got to see all the cool cars (as was pointed out to me when both the boys were yelling at me to take pictures of each car that past). I have to admit it was a pretty entertaining parade with the cars, the kilt-sporting bagpipe playing, marchin' band, the PC HS Environmental Club (the crazy kid wearing flip flops, NO shirt, & painted green...did I mention the low 40's temp), the drum battle by the Lutheran Youth group (ha ha...Dang! I didn't get a pic, but they had sticks & Home Depot buckets tied around their necks), & of course, the Men's Flag Twirling Ensemble (before the parade, we watched the lead guy who was already donning sequenced covered camo shorts applying glitter all over himself...nice). We'll just say there was a LOT of "rainbow pride" represented:)
After, we ducked into a little restaurant called The Hungry Moose to defrost with hot chocolate & lunch before heading home.
All in all, we had a pretty darn good holiday weekend.











0 comments:
Post a Comment